These community resources can help you with issues you might have that are not related to disability, and/or that DRNC does not cover.

Please note that the following links and telephone numbers are strictly for information purposes. DRNC neither endorses nor has any formal affiliation with the organizations listed below.

Help for basic needs, including food and housing


Contact SOAR about your housing issue at  or call 919-755-4393

Department of Health and Human services has over 20 different hotlines for different urgent concerns. If you do not see your concern listed, you can call the DHHS Customer Service Center and someone can connect you with programs and people to help you: 1-800-662-7030.

United Way’s 211 service – NC 211 is an information and referral service provided by United Way of North Carolina. Families and individuals can dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-892-1162 to obtain free and confidential information on health and human services and resources within their community.

NC Care 360 – General help finding resources and charities by geographical location. A statewide resource list for housing, employment, food assistance, domestic violence, transportation, No Wrong Door, and income support.

Legal Help

One resource for a private attorney is the North Carolina Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service. There is a $50.00 fee for a 30-minute consultation with an attorney. Visit their website to learn more, or call 1-800-662-7660.

Legal Aid of North Carolina(866) 219-5262 – Visit their website for additional information and resources. Their intake hours are: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday, and 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM, Monday & Thursday.

LANC Senior Law Project: (60 and older) – Call 1-877-579-7562, M-F 9-11 and 1-3

Attorney General Complaints –  or call 1-877-5-NO-SCAM

For civil issues if you meet income guidelines: – This page contains a huge resource list organized by different legal issues. Scroll down past the introductory paragraph to see ways to get legal help in North Carolina.

Many law schools also provide free law clinics where law students offer legal services under the supervision of licensed attorneys. This guide lists some of the free law clinics available in North Carolina.

Disability Resources

For I/DD:

The ARC. There are also local chapters throughout NC:  Scroll down to the bottom of the page for links.

The NC Council on Developmental Disabilities also has a huge resource list that is constantly updated.

For Autism:

The Autism Society:  (national organization).

The Autism Society of North Carolina1-800-442-2762

For Mental Health:

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI):

Education Resources

Legal Aid NC’s Advocates for Children’s Services – legal help and information for children in public education. ACS cases involve: short-term suspension; long-term suspension; expulsion; involuntary transfers to alternative school; denial of enrollment; discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, sex or disability; mistreatmen​t by school security personnel; special education; bullying; and academic failure.

The Exceptional Children’s Assistance Center (ECAC): Parent support for questions about special education, dispute resolution, and advocacy training.

The Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education – provides information and training for parents on formal and informal dispute resolution options.

VA and Veteran Issues

DAV office – a veterans charity. They handle reaching out to the VA and utilizing benefits. Find your local office.

NC Serves – (multiple local offices throughout the state)

Active-Duty Military/Veterans Legal Assistance

ABA Home Front – ABA Home Front provides legal information, resources, and a directory of legal programs for veterans, service members, and military families. Programs listed include military legal assistance offices, legal aid and pro bono organizations, lawyer referral and information services, and military-specific programs where available.

ABA Military Pro Bono Project – The ABA Military Pro Bono Project accepts case referrals from military attorneys on behalf of junior-enlisted, active-duty military personnel facing civil legal issues, and it works to place these cases with pro bono attorneys.