We help both children and adults with mental health and/or developmental disabilities obtain services.
How DRNC advocates to improve HCBS
- Providing advice about getting State-funded services, like Personal Care Services.
- Advocating for children with Medicaid to receive appropriate services.
- Helping people with Waivers (Innovations, CAP/DA, CAP/C and TBI) to get the services they need
Strategies we use
- Self- Advocacy assistance – We give you the information you need to advocate with your LME/MCO
- Individual representation – Sometimes we can represent you in a dispute with the LME/MCO or at the Office of Administrative Hearings
- Impact litigation – We sometimes litigate cases that will have a broad positive effect on the people we serve.
- Training and outreach – We go out into the community to train people with disabilities and their caregivers on their rights
- Educating policy makers – We lobby state lawmakers and DHHS for needed change
Please note: We DO NOT help individuals obtain Medicaid coverage or with applying for Social Security Disability or SSI (Legal Aid NC may be able to help you). Once you have Medicaid, we can help you to get services under Medicaid. We may also be able to provide you with information about State-funded services.
We help you live in the community of your choice. We help you get the supports that keep you healthy, safe and out of institutions. Sometimes, we take your case and advocate to get you with the services you need.
Your Rights at a Glance
You have the right to:
- Live in the community of your choice
- Receive the supports services you need in your own community
- Fully participate in your community
View DRNC’s library of community living, Medicaid and Waiver resources:
Visit Unsilenced.org, an organization whose mission is to stop institutional child abuse by empowering self-advocates to promote lasting social change. At their website, you can find information on how to report facilities, professional licenses and more.