Property Tax Relief for Homeowners
Did you know NC offers property tax relief for elderly and disabled homeowners? You may qualify to reduce the taxable value of your home by $25,000 or 50%, whichever is greater. This amount may be higher if you are a veteran and your disability is related to your service.
You can apply for this program through your local tax office. It is called the Homestead Property Tax Exemption.
- Be at least 65 years of age OR
- Totally and permanently disabled.
- Have Income less than the income eligibility limit. (Note: this amount changes yearly but for 2020 the limit is $31,500.)
- Be a North Carolina resident.
Check if you are eligible for the Homestead Tax Exemption
Things to remember
- The application period runs from January 1 to June 1.
- New applications come out January 1 of each year. Go to your county’s tax website to download the application.
- Income eligibility is set yearly and can be found on the application.
- All applications and associated materials must be submitted to your local tax office by June 1 to ensure acceptance.
Need more info?
Please call your local tax office and ask to speak to someone about the Homestead Tax Exemption program.