2021 Access the Vote NC Summer Internship
DRNC is now accepting applications for the non-partisan 2021 Access the Vote NC Summer Internship. This is a 6 week internship open to students with an expressed interest in voter engagement, access, and mobilization. Students must identify as a person with a disability and be enrolled in degree programs.
- Application Deadline: Applications received by March 5, 2021 will receive priority consideration. Final application deadline is March 19, 2021.
- Length: Six weeks
About Disability Rights North Carolina
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a nonprofit legal advocacy organization, is North Carolina’s Protection & Advocacy agency and the leader in advancing the legal rights of people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, statewide. Our advocates are dedicated to ensuring that disabled people have the supports they may need to live independently in the community, free from abuse, discrimination and neglect, with equality of opportunity. We engage in a range of advocacy strategies, including individual and impact litigation.
Our voters’ rights interns will develop a voter engagement plan for their campus and community, and learn how to:
- Review and analyze data from specific poll sites
- Monitor poll sites for accessibility
- Develop social media campaigns
- Organize Get Out The Vote (GOTV) campaigns
Intern responsibilities include:
- Completing weekly tasks that will be incorporated into the voter engagement plan
- Conduct visits to poll sites in their community
- Provide ongoing open communication with DRNC about program, data and updates.
- Attending community meetings
- Cooperate with DRNC and community partners to build skills and capacity
Who should apply?
We are seeking energetic and self-motivated NC college students who identify as a person with disabilities. The applicant should be passionate about voter engagement and want to ensure that voting sites and the voting process are accessible to people with disabilities.
To apply for DRNC’s 2021 Access the Vote NC summer internship you must:
- Be passionate about voter engagement, mobilization and access
- Be excited to take on a challenge and learn new skills
- Be a resident of North Carolina
- Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program in a North Carolina college or university
- Identify as a person with a disability (visible, invisible, or acquired)
- Have achieved a sophomore standing or the equivalent
- Have completed two semesters of college-level English or the equivalent
This paid internship is 6 weeks in duration, beginning early June. Orientation will be held virtually. You will complete the remainder of the internship working remotely in the county of your college campus.
- Completed application
- Two references. At least one reference should be academic.
- Statement of interest, no more than 500 words
Please complete the application below. Only complete applications will be considered. Late applications will not be accepted. Once the application is fully completed and received (including 2 references), applicants will be contacted by staff with next steps.
March 19, 2021. Priority will be given to applications received by March 5, 2021.
For questions or technical assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disability Rights North Carolina provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or nay characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.