Join Our Team! DRNC is seeking a communications coordinator
The communications coordinator works in collaboration with DRNC staff to design and implement communications strategies to elevate the visibility and image of our work to advance the rights of people with disabilities among key stakeholders, supporters and the general public. This position is integral to both our development and advocacy strategies and offers the opportunity to build upon DRNC’s successes in creative and innovative ways. The communications coordinator is supervised by the director of development and communications.
Job Duties include:
- Using staff-developed content, edit, create and disseminate written and email communications such as newsletters and other educational materials and updates, investigative reports and other publications, impact stories, annual reports, marketing materials and presentations, independently or in collaboration with the communications team and/or other staff
- Assist in developing and implementing a strategic communications plan and campaigns
- Maintain and update the organization’s website, utilizing SEO and ensuring the content is fully-accessible, current and accurate
- Strategically manage and expand social media and online community sites to engage key audiences, regularly posting notifications of events, educational content and calls to action
- Manage the production of videos that support the organization’s communications goals
- Other related job duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, English, public policy, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience developing external communications, preferably in a social justice or nonprofit environment
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout, design and professional publishing skills, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Ability to write in plain language
- Leadership and experience to ensure agency website and materials are fully-accessible
- Proficient with digital and social media platforms
- Strong computer and design skills including use of Adobe Creative Suite, Word Press, Microsoft Office Suite (Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access) and/or other relevant software programs
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple complex tasks
- Ability to work either collaboratively or independently with minimal supervision
- Keen attention to detail
- Life experience with disability
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
- Strong understanding of DEI, intersectionality and the desire to reflect and imbed that understanding in all agency work
- Understanding of trauma and its prevalence among disabled people, valuing and using trauma-informed approaches
Essential functions (with or without accommodations):
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Up-to-date understanding of all issues DRNC staff are working on
- Work collaboratively, collegially, and cooperatively with staff and others, including disabled people and people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to travel
- Ability to work long hours and/or weekend on occasion
DRNC is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates with life experience with disability, candidates of color, and other candidates with diverse identities.
DRNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits. The hiring range is $42,000 to $62,000, depending on experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match. DRNC recognizes the importance of a supported, skilled team and provides generous opportunities for professional development.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include communications coordinator in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled.