Job Opening- Education Team Staff Attorney
Staff Attorney – Education Team
Juvenile Justice and Race Equity Focus
Agency Description: Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only
organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of
all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy
organization and recognized leader in advancing disability rights. DRNC is well established and
positioned for growth. Learn more about DRNC here.
Job Description: The Staff Attorney will focus their practice on addressing issues at the nexus of
race and disability in the special education and juvenile justice contexts. The Staff Attorney will
work to ensure equity in the education and criminal justice systems; represent students in
special education, school discipline, and school discrimination matters, including youth in
juvenile detention facilities; train attorneys, advocates and other stakeholders; and participate
in policy initiatives related to the school-to-prison pipeline.
Job Duties include:
• Represent clients consistent with DRNC’s annual targets and case selection criteria, and
develop and implement all phases of case strategies and activities.
• Analyze and interpret federal and state laws, rulings and regulations to stay abreast of legal
developments in disability law, and other related law/ethics fields.
• Provide technical assistance to attorneys and advocates regarding the rights of individuals
with disabilities, including but not limited to substantial assistance to pro bono attorneys.
• Assist in planning and implementing DRNC’s program priorities.
• Prepare written materials and conduct trainings for staff, coalition partners, other
professionals and members of the public, consistent with DRNC’s annual targets.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with subject area professionals and advocates,
including state officials and agency staff, service providers, advocacy organizations, pro
bono attorneys, and community advocates.
• Represent DRNC at coalition meetings, public hearings, and stakeholder groups.
• Maintain complete and accurate records in DRNC’s case management system consistent
with agency policies and procedures.
• JD degree and admitted to practice law in North Carolina
• Minimum of three years of legal experience required, with five to eight years experience
in juvenile justice advocacy strongly preferred
• Working knowledge of special education law strongly preferred
• Demonstrated interest and commitment to public interest law
• Life or other experience with disability
• Experience in a legal services, nonprofit, or public interest environment
• Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish, or another non-English language
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of
employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or
federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We
participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $51,280
and up, depending on experience. Disability Rights NC offers excellent benefits which include
100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off
and a retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a resume and detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the
position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Staff Attorney – Education in the
subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Priority given to resumes/cover letters received by January 15. Position will
remain open until filled.