DRNC is Seeking a Staff Attorney to Join the I&R Team
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. A part of our advocacy work is providing high quality advice, assistance with self-advocacy efforts, and brief services to individuals via our Information and Referral (I&R) Team. We are seeking a staff attorney to join our I&R team. The I&R Attorney reports to the I&R Supervising Attorney and works as a member of the I&R Team. In this position, the attorney will be responsible for spotting and researching legal issues, and providing high quality legal advice, self-advocacy assistance, and brief services to individuals with disabilities who contact DRNC for help. The type of help that is provided by DRNC is dependent upon a caller’s legal issue(s). Full-time preferred; part time (30+ hours per week) may be considered for strong candidates.
Job Duties (to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations)
- The candidate will work and communicate directly with individuals applying for our services. They will review email and voicemail messages, and handle live telephone calls from applicants requesting our services.
- The attorney will draft letters and other materials to send to clients, and some of those materials may be published by DRNC for public use.
- The attorney will work with team attorneys to identify areas of further inquiry and determine the cases that are suitable for extended representation.
- The candidate will participate in outreach activities to under-served populations.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school;
- License to practice law in North Carolina or you have taken steps to become licensed in NC.
- Think critically and exercise independent judgment;
- Conduct research and analyses of pertinent legal authority;
- Quickly spot and analyze legal issues and provide quality legal advice and information;
- Draft well written letters or other legal documents for clients in a timely manner;
- Work efficiently with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism ;
- Work independently with appropriate supervision;
- Communicate well, including the ability to listen and probe potential clients for relevant information related to their issues;
- Outstanding case management and organization skills;
- Meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks with attention to detail; Culturally sensitive and able to work well with diverse populations.
- Life experience with a disability;
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or ASL;
- Legal experience in a nonprofit or public interest environment;
- Experience advocating for the rights of people with disabilities;
- Experience working with people with disabilities or a demonstrable passion for social justice;
- A commitment to a process of continuous improvement.
Salary and Benefits
The salary starts at $46,000. DRNC offers benefits that are 100% employer-paid. They include health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and a retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to email@example.com. Please include Staff Attorney Information and Referral Team in the subject line of the email.
Priority will be given to applications received by July 13, 2020. Position will remain open until filled.