Career Opportunity – PABRP Investigator/Advocate
DRNC is Currently Hiring an Investigator/Advocate
This job opening is on our Protection & Advocacy for Beneficiaries with Representative Payees Team.
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. Furthermore, we are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, well established and positioned for growth.
Conduct methodical, objective reviews of representative payees to ensuring that Social Security beneficiaries are not abused, neglected and/or exploited.
Demonstrates the following core values: relentless pursuit of results, respect and humility, personal responsibility, positive outlook, problem solving, communication, organization, and effective internal and external relationships.
Job Duties include:
- Conduct onsite reviews of Social Security Administration (SSA) representative payees, including:
- interviews with beneficiaries
- review of relevant documents
- development of corrective action plans where necessary
- referrals to outside agencies and preparation of reports to the federal funding agency consistent with Disability Rights NC’s Protection & Advocacy for Beneficiaries with Representative Payees (PABRP) review protocol
- Monitor the living conditions and other regular environments of beneficiaries to prevent, detect and address instances of abuse, neglect or exploitation consistent with Disability Rights NC’s review protocol
- Stay up to date with the federal statutes and regulations relating to Disability Rights NC’s access authority
- Stay up to date with state and federal statutes, regulations and policies governing care and treatment of people with disabilities
- Collaborate with others regarding ongoing reviews
- Provide training to newly designated Representative Payees on their roles and responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with experience in conducting investigations, such as those performed by law enforcement, journalists, regulators or other types of investigations
- Direct experience with or general knowledge of services and issues affecting individuals with disabilities
- Recognition of the human and civil rights of people with disabilities
- Proficiency in using computers for word processing, data collection and communication
- Effective communication skills regarding complex factual situations
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Successfully complete SSA’s suitability determination
- Life experience with disability
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Essential functions (with or without accommodations):
1. Ability to travel including overnight
2. Ability to occasionally work long hours and/or weekends
3. Ability to interact with people with disabilities
4. Ability to communicate effectively
5. Ability to review and understand financial records
6. Ability to input and access data in the required databases
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $18-$27/per hour, depending on experience. Disability Rights NC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include PABRP Investigator in the subject line of the email.
No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled.