Seeking Staff Attorney
Career Opportunity – Staff Attorney on the Community Inclusion Team
DRNC is seeking a full-time staff attorney to join the Community Inclusion (CI) Team.
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights.
DRNC has an immediate opening for a full time staff attorney on the Community Inclusion (CI) Team. CI team work centers around ensuring people with disabilities have equal opportunities to live, work, and participate in their communities. The staff attorney will engage in research and analysis of disability-related civil rights laws and provide individual and systemic representation to uphold the rights of persons with disabilities who have been denied equal access to public places, programs, and services, as well as employment. A licensed attorney with litigation experience and an interest in disability civil rights laws is preferred.
Job Duties include:
- Represents individual clients consistent with DRNC’s annual targets and selection criteria, including the development and implementation of all phases of case strategies and activities—e.g. client communications, negotiation, mediation, representation in legal proceedings, and systemic advocacy and litigation
- Provides legal advice and assistance to DRNC’s clients, including writing
letters and memoranda and drafting pleadings on behalf of DRNC’s clients
- Analyzes and interprets federal and state laws, rulings and regulations to stay abreast of legal developments in disability civil rights laws, and other related law/ethical fields
- Analyzes statutes, regulations, and agency policies/procedures and drafts analyses and comments, as appropriate, in collaboration with DRNC policy staff
- Provides technical assistance to attorneys and advocates regarding the rights of individuals with disabilities
- Assists in the planning and development of DRNC’s program priorities and
develops work plans, as assigned
- Prepares and reviews reports, amicus briefs, articles and special projects, drafts
legislation and proposed regulations, as assigned
- Prepares written materials and conducts activities for the education and training of consumers, coalition partners, professionals, DRNC staff, members of the public, and others consistent with DRNC’s annual targets
- Cultivates, develops and maintains relationships with subject area professionals and advocates, including state officials and agency staff, providers, advocacy organizations, pro bono attorneys, and community advocates
- Represents DRNC at coalition meetings, public hearings, stakeholder groups, and/or task forces
- Monitors institutions and other service providers, agencies, or settings, as required
- Maintains complete and accurate records in DRNC’s case management system
consistent with agency policies and procedures
- JD degree and admitted to practice law in North Carolina
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to public interest law and/or the rights of persons with disabilities
- Life experience with disability
- Civil litigation experience
- Familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities and Rehabilitation Acts
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The salary range is between $46,000 and $90,000, depending on experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits that include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Staff Attorney Community Inclusion Team in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Priority application date 4/30/2022. Position will remain open until filled.