DRNC is seeking a Criminal Justice Team “End Solitary Confinement” Project Manager (One Year Contract Position)
This is a one year contract position created through a grant with the National Religious Campaign Against Torture. The grant period is for one (1) year.
DRNC is actively engaged in efforts to end-long term solitary confinement in NC. The Project Manager will be dedicated to DRNC’s campaign against solitary confinement, and focus on coalition building and public engagement. The Project Manager will connect with disabled and formerly incarcerated people, other nonprofit organizations, the faith community, local groups and advocates, and the general public to bring awareness and provide education about the human rights crisis of solitary confinement, with the goal of reaching a “tipping point” where a critical mass of people voice their unequivocal opposition to this abusive practice, and demand action to end it.
The Project Manager must demonstrate the following core values: relentless pursuit of results, respect and humility, personal responsibility, positive outlook, problem solving, communication, organization, and effective internal and external relationships.
Job duties include
- Attend internal and external meetings about solitary confinement and related criminal justice issues
- Organize and expand DRNC’s partnerships around criminal justice reform
- Build a Project Advisory Committee
- Plan and convene media and community events to build public support for the abolition of solitary confinement
- Create campaign materials for audiences such as community members, DRNC partners, policy makers, and other stakeholders
- Oversee DRNC’s campaign on social media and build its social media presence
- Expand the coalition of interested people and groups by building and maintaining connections with key stakeholders in North Carolina, including directly affected people, policy makers, and advocacy groups
- Advise DRNC on ways to increase the campaign’s impact through strategic advocacy
- Track and report on DRNC’s progress toward its campaign goals
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience in campaign-building, advocacy, community organizing, or similar work that involves bringing public awareness to and/or building public support about an issue
- Ability to understand and be an effective spokesperson for DRNC policy goals
- Strong communication skills to engage with DRNC partners, advocates, community members, and others
- Direct experience with or knowledge of issues affecting people with disabilities who are involved in the criminal justice system
- Proficiency using computers for word processing, data collection and communication
- Proficiency in Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to organize and prioritize tasks
- Recognition of the human and civil rights of people with disabilities, people of color, and people who are incarcerated
- Strong belief that solitary confinement should be abolished
- Life experience with solitary confinement or incarceration
- Life experience with disability
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Essential functions (with or without accommodations)
- Occasional weekend and/or long work hours
- Engage appropriately with others, both internally and externallyCommunicate effectively and expressively, orally and in writing
- Interact with community members (per COVID-19 safety guidelines)
- Work collaboratively, collegially, and cooperatively across teams
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are especially encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
This is a one year, full-time, grant-funded position. The grant period is for one (1) year.
This is a one year contract positon with DRNC. Pay: $55,000.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Criminal Justice Team Project Manager” in the email’s subject line. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled.