DRNC is seeking a bilingual advocate
Agency Description: Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, public interest law firm. It is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina (NC). We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy organization and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, with a strong staff and supportive, dynamic work environment. DRNC is well-established and positioned for growth. We are committed to building race equity into our internal and external work. Learn more about DRNC on our website.
The Client Assistance, Services and Engagement (CASE) Team is a valuable resource for North Carolinians with disabilities, including Spanish speakers. The CASE Intake Advocate gathers, develops and provides information and referrals to our constituency and connects them with resources, self-advocacy tools, and other relevant opportunities. This full-time advocate position works closely with DRNC staff to coordinate and implement DRNC’s statewide intake process and provide legal and outreach program support. This position is classiﬁed as non-exempt from overtime pay under federal Department of Labor regulations. The CASE Intake Advocate must be bilingual in English and Spanish, and able to read, write and speak Spanish proﬁciently or ability to communicate in ASL, or another non-English language.
Job Duties include:
- Serve as point of contact for constituents requesting legal assistance, obtain relevant information, determine eligibility, identify issues requiring legal advocacy within DRNC’s scope of work and appropriate staff to assist
- Provide timely, accurate and robust information, written materials, and/or referrals to other resources in the community; develop, gather and maintain referral information
- Create and maintain documentation on actions taken during intake process, update intake database, and generate reports and correspondence
- Work closely with program staff to continuously develop and evaluate intake, information and referral processes; identify, analyze and monitor potential systemic legal issues that arise through client intakes; and develop materials to share information with constituents
- Spearhead and/or participate in community engagement activities, prioritizing marginalized and under-served communities
- Participate in CASE Team and other staff meetings as scheduled
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or human services related ﬁeld and three (3) years of experience in a public interest or human services ﬁeld, or equivalent combination of training and experience Bilingual in English and Spanish; able to read, write and speak Spanish proﬁciently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and with people from diverse cultural backgrounds and with various disabilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to write well, communicate effectively, and work well with people; assist people skillfully during moments of trauma or crisis; handle and negotiate confrontational situations and stressful interactions; and facilitate and inform individuals and groups
- Excellent problem-solving skills and sound judgment
- Knowledge of community resources and systems providing services to people with disabilities Strong organization and computer skills, and attention to detail.
- Commitment to DRNC’s mission, vision, and values, and to the civil rights of people with disabilities
- Familiarity and rapport with Hispanic/Latino population/culture is strongly preferred Occasional availability to work evening or weekend hours
- Ability to communicate in ASL
- Experience in a legal service, nonproﬁt or public interest environment
- Understanding of trauma and its prevalence among people with disabilities, valuing and using trauma- informed approaches
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits. The salary range is $43,800 to $64,400, depending on relevent experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualiﬁcations and interest in the position and resume to: email@example.com. Include CASE Advocate in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Priority will be given to resumes received by October 9, 2023. Position will remain open until ﬁlled.