Career opportunity: Bilingual Information & Referral Advocate; Client Assistance, Services & Engagement (CASE) Team
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy organization and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, with a strong staff and supportive, dynamic work environment. DRNC is committed to building race equity into our internal and external work. DRNC is well established and positioned for growth. Learn more about DRNC at www.disabilityrightsnc.org.
The Client Assistance, Services and Engagement (CASE) Team is a valuable resource for North Carolinians with disabilities, including Spanish speakers. The CASE Intake Advocate gathers, develops and provides information and referrals to our constituency and connects them with resources, self-advocacy tools, and other relevant opportunities. This full-time advocate position works closely with DRNC staff to coordinate and implement DRNC’s statewide intake process and provide legal and outreach program support. This position is classified as non-exempt from overtime pay under federal Department of Labor regulations. The CASE Intake Advocate must be bilingual in English and Spanish, and able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently or ability to communicate in ASL, or another non-English language.
Job Duties include successfully:
- Serve as point of contact for constituents requesting legal assistance, obtain relevant information, determine eligibility, identify issues requiring legal advocacy within DRNC’s scope of work and appropriate staff to assist
- Provide timely, accurate and robust information, written materials, and/or referrals to other resources in the community; develop, gather and maintain referral information
- Create and maintain documentation on actions taken during intake process, update intake database, and generate reports and correspondence
- Work closely with program staff to continuously develop and evaluate intake, information and referral processes; identify, analyze and monitor potential systemic legal issues that arise through client intakes; and develop materials to share information with constituents
- Spearhead and/or participate in community engagement activities, prioritizing marginalized and under-served communities
- Participate in CASE Team and other staff meetings as scheduled
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or human services related field and three (3) years of experience in a public interest or human services field, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and with people from diverse cultural backgrounds and with various disabilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to write well, communicate effectively, and work well with people; assist people skillfully during moments of trauma or crisis; handle and negotiate confrontational situations and stressful interactions; and facilitate and inform individuals and groups
- Excellent problem solving skills and sound judgment
- Knowledge of community resources and systems providing services to people with disabilities
- Strong organization and computer skills, and attention to detail.
- Commitment to DRNC’s mission, vision, and values, and to the civil rights of people with disabilities.
- Familiarity and rapport with Hispanic/Latino population/culture is strongly preferred
- Occasional availability to work evening or weekend hours
- Ability to communicate in ASL
- Experience in a legal service, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Understanding of trauma and its prevalence among people with disabilities, valuing and using trauma-informed approaches
DRNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are strongly encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation package is competitive with other non-profits: The salary range for this position is $43,800 to $64,400 depending on experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits, including 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability; generous paid time off; retirement plan with an employer match; and flexible, supportive work environment.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to: email@example.com. Include CASE Advocate in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Priority will be given to resumes received by April 30, 2023. Position will remain open until filled.