Seeking Policy Attorney
This position is filled.
Career Opportunity – Policy Attorney (Analyst)
DRNC is seeking an attorney or JD holder to join our policy team. JD holders not admitted to the NC Bar will have the title “Policy Analyst.”
This position will be open until filled.
Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, well established and positioned for growth. (www.DisabilityRightsNC.org)
Responsible for researching and analyzing disability policy issues and presenting DRNC positions on policy issues orally and in writing. Advocate for DRNC policy initiatives, both short-term and long-term, across disability groups, consistent with DRNC’s priorities and programs. Advise staff on public policy initiatives. DRNC’s public policy activities cover a broad range of issues including but not limited to health care, education, employment, housing, transportation, voting, and criminal justice.
Demonstrates the following core values: relentless pursuit of results, respect and humility, personal responsibility, positive outlook, problem solving, communication, organization, and effective internal and external relationships.
Job Duties include:
- Review and analyze pending state and federal legislation and communicate on its impact on people with disabilities, both internally to staff and externally to the public and policymakers.
- Collaborate with issue teams in the development of systemic activities, as assigned by Director of Public Policy.
- Develop written materials, including policy statements, to communicate the policy goals of DRNC.
- Review proposed state and federal regulations and draft comments to federal and state agencies.
- Represent DRNC at coalition and community meetings.
- Research law and prepare memoranda, reports, and articles.
- Educate the community, lawmakers, and other advocacy organizations on disability rights policy initiatives.
- Draft language for new legislation and proposed changes to laws and regulations, with input from teams and approval of Director of Public Policy.
- Assist Director of Public Policy in advocacy efforts at the NC General Assembly and with state agencies.
- Keep abreast of relevant developments in disability-related state and federal legislation and policies and inform staff of such developments.
- Assist in the planning and development of the agency program priorities.
- Work as part of a team and with diverse communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD degree
- Experience and expertise on disability policy issues and/or legislative advocacy
- Minimum of three years relevant professional experience
- Strong interest and/or experience analyzing public policy issues with the goal of promoting decisions that address the needs of people with disabilities
- Familiarity in using computers for word processing, data collection and communication
- Effective communication skills sufficient to communicate in complex factual situations and provide responsive information
- Life experience with disability
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Essential functions (with or without accommodations)
- Ability to conduct research and analysis of state and federal statutes and regulations
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to travel (less than 10%)
- Ability to occasionally work long hours and/or weekends
- Ability to record data into the agency’s database
- Ability to organize and prioritize complex tasks
DRNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify. Our staff is currently working remotely, but we expect to return to our offices in 2021.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $46K – $90K, depending on experience. DRNC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Policy Attorney in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled.